Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Bear, the Fairy, and the Closet


Apropos some recent comments over at the faineant solitudinarian, I bring you some wonderful news, and an insight straight from the horse's mouth.

Sir Ian McKellen received a Golden Bear lifetime achievement award at the Berlin Film Festival over the weekend and used the opportunity to talk about the challenges of being openly gay in Hollywood:

"It is very, very, very difficult for an American actor who wants a film career to be open about his sexuality. And even more difficult for a woman if she’s lesbian. It’s very distressing to me that that should be the case. It’s not true of actors on the other side of the American continent, on Broadway, where people are very at ease with being open and honest. But the film industry is very old fashioned in California. My own career in mainstream films really took off once I’d come out and said I was gay. And that’s the way it should be because Heath Ledger isn’t gay nor am I straight and yet I can play straight parts and he can successfully play gay men. It’ll fade away eventually.

I was warned by friends in the industry, particularly the American film industry, that my life was about to change. They knew I was going to be famous, seriously famous. Of course it’s always a part of an actor’s interest in his job that he might appeal to a very, very wide audience but in the theatre that can’t be the case. Those films have reached round the world. And that popularity has rubbed off on me. There is no country in the world I can safely be anonymous in.

I think to become extremely famous when you’re very young must be very daunting and very difficult to cope with and shouldn’t really be part of your life because you should be concentrating on the work and not on people’s reaction to your work."

4 comments:

Tamal said...

Lifetime achieveent for Ian Mckellen?That never bodes well for any actor.It is like a warning signal that the actor is going to be sidelined,he / she will get less meatier roles than before.And i dont like the idea of not seeing Ian Mckellen on screen in kick ass roles.But if that is not what is going to happen,then i am happy for him.Ian Mckellen is one of the most talented actors i have seen in my life and anyway he has been so neglected in the oscars.

Rohan said...

I certainly hope it's not the beginning of the end of his career. Truly, he's been unlucky at the Oscars too.

I remember watching when he was up for Best Actor for Gods and Monsters, and he lost to Federico Fellini... Sophia Loren jumping up and down screaming, "Federico!! Federico!!! Aaaaaaah!", and Mr. Fellini jumping up on seats (in an eerie prequel to the Tom Cruise coach assault incident).

I hope Ian McKellen has far greater roles ahead of him.

Long live Ian McKellen! Love live the Queen!

Tamal said...

Fellini??Frederico fellini??Not to be rude,but fellini isnt an actor ,he is a director and dead(and a very important one if i may add).That year,Roberto Benigni won for Life is beautiful.Anyway,its probably a slip of tongue.

Rohan said...

Whoooops!!!

My sincere apologies.

I swear, Kaushik's Fellini obsession has rubbed off on me...

All those Italian names... why can't they just use English like the rest of the world?!