Thursday, March 23, 2006

Munich: Ho hum

Munich was a mixed bag for me.

I must confess, I had a major misconception about this film. I thought this film dealt with the Munich massacre. Not the case. This film deals with what happens after the massacre itself.

Considering the touchy subject matter, and the fact that it’s Steven Spielberg, of all people, I was hooked. A fine film, on the whole. The quality you come to expect out of a Spielberg. Eric Bana is always a delight, and was nice to see more screen time devoted to him. Not the brightest bulb in the store, but pleasant, nonetheless.

That said, this film can be a major yawn fest. Pacing is a problem. You soon lose touch with what exactly is going on, and that’s never a good sign. Some parts of the story seem seriously flat, and it tends to really stretch creditability. Bana may be OK, but the sore spots really bring him down.

I don’t why Spielberg does this, but he has this penchant for inappropriate sex scenes, when it tends to hurt the film the most. Why? The bit right at the end just made it silly. Not cool, Mr. Spielberg. Two reasons for this. One, it undermines the character. Two, inserting key story elements within racy sequences begging for the censor’s scissors. Whether you like it or not, censors exist, and this is a great disservice to the audiences who lose out.

5 comments:

- Aye Davanita said...

Your observations are rather astute. Didn't realize some of those things. Saw the movie a while back and I still enjoyed it - despite the accurate deficiencies you pointed out.

Aditya Saraogi said...

Cant agree more with the expectations from the film. I thought the film would be about the massacre itself. I have not seen it yet, but the trailers put it clearly. Now I am skeptical of the movie.

Rohan said...

Don't be. It's still an enjoyable film.

Aditya Saraogi said...

The following is something not relevant to this blog, but I am going to put it anyway as this is the only way it will be read.

I happened to read a friends' friends' blog. It was so tedious. The use of words seemed forced. The layout suggested that vocabulary dominated the flow instead of the thought process. And what really amazes me is that it was appreciated....

Rohan said...

Aditya, I hope that's certainly not the case here.

Yes, I see that in many blogs. People post filler text, and its commented upon.