Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Brokeback's Mountain Lion

I always knew Brokeback Mountain was a Top... uhm, winner.

Brokeback Mountain has won the Golden Lion for Best Film at the Venice Film Festival, which drew to a close recently. I hope this is an omen of things to come. Almost all reviewers have raved about the film. Yes, there have been a few negative reviews too, criticizing certain aspects of the characters, or the length of the film. Europeans! As for me, a good film can never be too long. Especially if it's an Ang Lee.

It would have been interesting to consider how this film would have fared at Cannes. Cannes has no love for Ang Lee. There is also a legacy of discomfort with controversial films. Last year's critically acclaimed Vera Drake did not make it to Cannes, though it went on to win the Golden Lion at Venice.

Update for you South Park fans: They're NOT eating pudding in this one.

1 comment:

Aditya Saraogi said...

Hi Rohan,
Seems like Brokeback Mountain would be one of the most awaited films for me this year. There will be a French Film Festival where 7 French films will be screened starting from 30th September. I shall try and update my blog with my experience on them.

Congratulations on your GRE score! I bet you are busy preparing for other exams as well. I forgot to ask you if you were applying for IISc as well.
Aditya